Thursday, March 21, 2013

Norma's Volunteer Story Part 10


It had been four months now since the children were removed from Kathy's home. Kathy had found a new job as a receptionist at an insurance firm with the help from Anita.  When I went in to talk to her after a few weeks, she  had a totally different demeanor from when I first met her. She looked healthier and more confident although she didn't crack a smile in the slightest.  " I've been staying away from drugs Norma," Kathy stated asked as we sat down and discussed the final hearing ." When will I get my children back?"  Kathy and Ernie had been taking parenting classes for the past month and as of yesterday, Kathy had tested negative on both of her random drug tests.  I felt confident at this point in allowing the children back into the home. I slowly worked my way through explaining the process that was to come .

" Kathy, I am so  proud of the changes you have made thus far in anticipation of your children returning.  When we go to the hearing, I need for you to stay just as calm and collected as you were when I walked in this office. You have met all of the court ordered requirements in getting a job, staying substance free, and taking parenting classes.  If Rose and Ben are  returned to you, they will be monitored for 6 months by the department and myself to ensure that your lifestyle changes are permanent. Jason, Ben's father has already been placed on child support so that you will have a bit more financial stability. Ernie however has been granted guardianship over Robert.  I had every intention of reuniting your family but at the same time, I had to do what was best for the children. Ben has decided to stay will your sister for the time being. Although he loves you and his siblings, he chose to stay in the environment  he  is currently in.  He is doing better in school and has taken a special liking to  his art classes. You have visitation rights to him on the weekends."

I had mixed feelings  flushing through my body as I left Kathy's job that day.  Pride, happiness, anxiety. I was excited for the opportunity to be such a huge factor in helping this  families life get back on track.  I loved every minute of being the person who looked after the children and made sure their needs were met. I created a great relationship with the children and helped them through one of the hardest times their little lives would ever. I was a CASA volunteer. I was needed.  I was wanted. I had purpose. I was happy to be serving the children's best interest but for the first time, I realized that doing what is best for the children may not necessarily mean a happy ending for Kathy.
 
The final hearing had finally come around and I never realized how loud the ticking of the clock was for a silent room thick with anticipation and anxiety. As I was called on to report the overall progress of the family, my heart sank. I Began to give a synopsis of the children's lives over the past  7 months since they were initially taken. I began with baby Rose. While Kathy was  pregnant with her, she consumed a sufficient amount of alcohol leading to Rose being diagnosed with infant alcohol syndrome as well as serious developmental delays. While under the care of the foster parents, Rose developed a strong bond with them and was  being put through a series of  occupational therapy sessions. Over the past seven months, Kathy only visited Rose three times. The foster parents decided to petition the court for adoption. As I was going  on about Rose , I had a flashback. Two months earlier   I was sitting at the park talking in private with Kathy's sister, Carol. Ben had been staying with her  and  this day, we had arranged for him, Robert, and Ernie to spend time together. They were a few yards away playing basketball giving  me just enough privacy to check up on how things were going.  That day , Carol expressed concerns about Kathy's alcohol recovery. According to Carol, Kathy would visit  often on the weekends seeming to be inebriated. Whenever she came, the atmosphere was tainted as she caused fights, discord, and undermined Carols household authority. She also informed me that although Ben was doing substantially better, he had recently formed a habit of stealing from  her purse.

My day dream was interrupted as the head juror walked up to the judges stand to deliver the verdict, Those few moments seemed like forever as the past 7 months played out in my head. Kathy was a loving mother who had been working since she was 14. She had made a mistake, as we all do, but her's cost her children.  The jury decided that Kathy was not in good condition to raise her children in her home. She had been sober for 35 days now, but relapse is often apart of recovery and a risk that the children should be exposed to. When I initially became a CASA, I thought that in the end, the parent would always end up with the children back in the home but sometimes, the parents home isn't the best for the child. Kathy was ordered to pay child support to Ernie. Jason was ordered to pay child support to Carol, and the Adoption case date was announced as the case was concluded. Although Kathy was in tears leaving the courtroom, I couldn't help but feel confident that what was best for the children was done.

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment